Pineapple Cupcakes with Coconut Sugar Glaze <3 Olivia
YUM! Biting into these Pina Colada flavored cupcakes is amazing! I love the sweet pineapple pieces. I kept the coconut in the frosting only but you could throw it into the batter if you wanted a more intense coconut flavor. I was very excited about making these because 1. pineapple in a cupcake sounds delicious and 2. it is a fun and unique twist on the cupcake. Making them is easy! If you are feeling lazy you could use boxed cake mix and add the extras but I recommend making it from scratch… here it goes.
Pineapple Cupcakes with Coconut Sugar Glaze
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the pineapple cake:
– 2 and 1/3 cup flour
– 3 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. vanilla
– 3 eggs
– 1 and 2/3 cup sugar
– 1 cup milk (any type is ok–I used 1%, whole is ideal)
– 2/3 cup butter, softened
– 1 can diced pineapple (8 oz)
– 1 can crushed pineapple (8 oz)
For the sugar-coconut glaze:
– 2 cups confectioner sugar
– 2-3 tbs. milk (start with 2 and add more as needed)
– 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
– Shredded coconut for topping
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a bowl stir together your flour, salt, and baking powder.
2. In another large bowl combine the softened butter and sugar. Stir (or use a hand mixer) to combine until fluffy and well mixed.
3. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, combine well.
4. Now you can stir in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) into your butter sugar mixture.
5. Mix in the milk.
6. Now open up your pineapple cans and pour in the liquid and pineapple. Gently combine.
7. All your ingredients are now combined. Pour into lightly greased muffin tins (or use liners) and bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes. I think mine were in there for about 33 minutes. TIP- when I make muffins and cupcakes I like to fill my tins pretty high in order to get that big cupcake shape. But with these cupcakes you only want to fill about 2/3 way up because the batter is very sticky due to the pineapple juice and will spread, it is a pain to clean off the top of the pan 🙂
For the icing:
1. Combine all ingredients and stir until it has reached the desired consistency. If you want the glaze thicker, use more flour and less milk. Add in the vanilla IF you want a vanilla hint to the glaze– I left mine as a sugar glaze.
2. Once the cupcakes are cooled you can spread the glaze on top and then sprinkle the top with your shredded coconut.