Strawberry Muffins <3 Olivia
Ena’s raspberry cake inspired me to post this. The picture really doesn’t do these muffins justice. They are so pretty and taste really fresh. They are particularly amazing when served warm. Side note- those muffins are in a Honeycombs box and until a recent Wal-Mart trip I had not seen or heard of Honeycombs in years, but they are still decently good (6/10). Anyway… for these muffins you will pretty much use the cabinet staples plus a lot of fresh strawberries. The recipe will yield 12 muffins.
– 2 cups fresh strawberries
– 3/4 cup white sugar
– 1/4 cup butter, soft or melted
– 2 eggs
– 1 & 3/4 cup flour (white or whole wheat)
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp. baking powder
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– Dash of nutmeg, cinnamon (both are optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
1. Dice strawberries to size of your choice-depending on how distinct you want the strawberry chunks to be.
2. Combine the strawberries and 1/2 cup of the sugar (l/4 cup will be used later) in a bowl. Stir. Set aside this mixture for 30-60 minutes to allow juice to collect.
3. Cream together the butter and remaining sugar (1/4 cup) with a mixer or vigorously by hand.
4. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg & cinnamon (if using).
5. Now drain the liquid that is collecting in your bowl of berries straight into the batter you have just made. Mix. Now you can add the strawberries and gently mix.
6. Pour batter into lightly greased cupcake tins and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick removes cleanly.
Enjoy as a breakfast treat or dessert.